The Gaunt | Law Office

More Than 20 Years Of Experience With Criminal Matters

Is it possible to go to rehab instead of jail?

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2023 | Drug-related Charges

Drug addiction can cause people to act in ways they wouldn’t do otherwise. Many individuals with substance abuse disorders don’t act recklessly on purpose; rather, their drug use leads them to engage in criminal behavior. Thankfully, Indiana recognizes the value of treatment over incarceration. If you’re arrested for drug-related crimes, there is a chance you could seek treatment through the state’s drug services program instead of facing time in jail.

Indiana’s court alcohol and drug program

Indiana’s drug court, also known as court established alcohol and drug program, operates in about 55 courts across the state. It allows participants the opportunity to receive the support and resources they need to recover by requiring a lifestyle change.

However, not everyone can immediately enter into the state’s drug services program. Generally, this option is only available to those who committed nonviolent drug crimes. Your county’s program director will be the one to determine if you qualify to participate and what services are available to you.

Among the services offered are:

  • Counseling
  • Rehabilitative care
  • Detoxing
  • Education
  • Case management
  • Referral

If you meet the requirements, you will be assigned duties and assignments that will help in your recovery. You can expect the judge to keep an eye on your progress. You may need to appear in court and subject yourself to drug testing regularly.

In some cases, graduating from Indiana drug courts can help criminal offenders have their charges dismissed. Completing the program entails staying crime-free, spending at least one year in the program and showing consistent negative drug tests.

Fighting a drug addiction on your own can feel like an uphill battle. Sometimes the only way to help yourself is to rely on the support of others. If you are struggling, treatment may be available via the state’s drug services program, and a criminal law attorney can help advise you on your legal options.